Last Updated: March 2022
The Information We Collect
We collect, store and use certain information from or about you for the purposes described below.
1. INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE US
We collect a variety of information that you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information from you through:
- When you register to use our Services
- Your use of the Services
- Requests or questions you submit to us via online forms, email, or otherwise
- Your participation in surveys
- Online job applications
Information about you. The types of data we collect directly from you may include:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Your company or organization name
- Your title
- Information submitted in connection with a job application, if applicable
- Credit card or other financial payment data
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of the Services
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT THROUGH AUTOMATED MEANS
When you use our Services, we and our service providers (who are third parties that perform services on our behalf) automatically collect certain information about your device and how you use the Services, including your IP address, browser type, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Services, software and hardware attributes (including device IDs), referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, files you download, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Services, error logs, and other similar information. From your IP address, we may be able to infer your general location (e.g., city/state or postal code).
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OTHERS
From time to time we may collect information about you from other sources, including marketing vendors, survey providers, social media, conferences, and other industry events or other purposes that we explain to you at the time of collection, to the extent permitted by applicable law. We use this information to supplement the information that we collect directly from you in order to infer your possible preferences and improvements to our Services, to provide more relevant experiences for you and to improve our Services, analytics, and advertising.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information for various purposes depending on the types of information we have collected from and about you, in order to:
- Provide you with access to and to administer our Services
- Confirm your identity
- Respond to your requests for information and provide you with more effective and efficient customer service
- Contact you by email, postal mail, or phone with news, updates, information, promotions, surveys or contests relating to our Services or other services that may be of interest to you
- Customize the content you see on our Services
- Process employment applications
- Help us better understand your interests, and improve our Services
- Secure our Services and resolve technical issues being reported
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
Aggregate/De-Identified Information. We may aggregate and/or de-identify any information collected through our Services so that such information can no longer be linked to you or your device (“Aggregate/De-Identified Information”). We may use such information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, partners, and sponsors.
Legal Bases for Use of Your Information
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations by contract with you (for example, to comply with, as applicable, the relevant terms and privacy policies of our Services)
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our Services; operate our Services; defend our legal rights; analyze use of and improve our Services)
- Where we have a reason to process the data in accordance with applicable laws (e.g., for tax and accounting purposes)
- Where we have your consent to engage in a particular processing activity
Online Analytics and Advertising
ANALYTICS. We may use third-party web analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics) on our Services to collect and analyze usage information through cookies and similar tools; engage in auditing, research, or reporting; assist with fraud prevention; and provide certain features to you. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here. If you receive email from us, we may use certain analytics tools, such as clear GIFs to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
ONLINE ADVERTISING. In using the Services, we may from time to time allow select third party advertising technology partners to place cookies or other tracking technologies on the browser of your device to collect information about you as discussed above. These third parties (e.g., ad networks and ad servers such as Google, Facebook, and others) may use this information to serve relevant content and advertising to you as you browse the Internet, and access their own cookies or other tracking technologies on your browser to assist in this activity. If you are interested in more information about these online advertising activities, and how you can generally control cookies from being put on your computer to deliver tailored advertising, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out link, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out link, or Your Online Choices to opt-out of receiving tailored advertising from companies that participate in those programs. We do not control these opt-out links or whether any particular company chooses to participate in these opt-out programs. We are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms. Please note that if you use these mechanisms, you may still see advertising on our Services or across the Internet, but it will not be tailored to you based on your online behavior over time.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Services for third party purposes, and that is why we provide the variety of opt-out mechanisms listed above. However, we do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated DNT signals.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
We may share your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers.We provide access to or share your information with select third parties who perform services on our behalf, including billing and credit card verification, advertising and marketing, Services content and features, analytics, research, customer service, data storage, security, fraud prevention, and legal services.
- Testimonials. We may display personal testimonials and endorsements of satisfied customers on the Services or other external communications, and only with your express written consent, will associate your name or your company’s name with such postings.
- Protection of Canalyst and Others.By using the Services, you acknowledge and agree that we may access, retain, and disclose the information we collect and maintain about you if required to do so by applicable law or in a good faith belief that such access, retention or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process (e.g. a subpoena or court order); (b) enforce any contracts with you, if relevant; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; and/or (d) protect the rights, property or personal safety of Canalyst, its agents and affiliates, its users and/or the public.
- Business Transactions. In accordance with applicable legal obligations, your information may be provided to third parties in connection with a merger or acquisition (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Canalyst or our assets, or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control or fundamental business change, including for the purpose of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship.
- Aggregate/De-Identified Information.From time to time, we may share Aggregate/De-identified Information about use of the Services or our user base with partners and others, but such information will not identify you personally.
Retention of Your Information
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
Your Rights and Your Choices
You have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
1. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us using the information in the “Contact Information” section below at any time. Your local laws (e.g., in Canada, the EU, and California) may permit you to request that we:
- provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you
- update information which is out of date or incorrect
- delete certain information which we are holding about you
- restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information
- revoke your consent for the processing of your information
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law and as otherwise required by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to continue processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
2. MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
Third Party Links and Features
The Services are intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 without valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible.
Your information is maintained and processed by us and our third-party service providers in Canada, and may also be maintained, processed, and stored in the US or other jurisdictions that may have different data protection laws than those in your country of residence. In the event that your information is transferred in these ways, please note that we comply with applicable legal requirements governing the transfer of information across borders.
How We Protect Your Information
Canalyst takes a variety of technical and organizational security measures to protect the information provided to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or email transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any information to us online.
Privacy Information for California Users
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with additional information regarding how we collect, use, and share your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)).
Categories of personal information we collect
- contact information (such as name, title, company, and email address)
- internet or other network or device activity (such as browsing history or Services usage information)
- financial information (such as your credit card details or other financial payment mechanisms)
- geolocation information (e.g., your approximate location based on IP address)
- inference data about you (e.g., the communications and information we believe will be of interest to you based on your interactions with us)
California law gives residents of California the right under certain circumstances to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of “personal information” (as defined by applicable California law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Canalyst does not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Privacy Office ℅ Legal
Canalyst Financial Modeling Corporation
2160 – 1055 West Pender Street
Vancouver BC, Canada